Root canal therapy is an endodontic treatment provided to patients with the infected or inflamed tooth pulp and soft tissue. The procedure is used to save the natural tooth and restore its strength and stability.
At Marlayna C. Best in Andover, New Jersey, and Best Dental Care NJ in Newton, New Jersey, Dr. Best routinely provides root canal therapy to patients to care for their damaged teeth and restore their functionality.
What Does the Root Canal Procedure Entail?
Here are the steps that are typically included in a root canal procedure performed by Dr. Best in one of our offices in New Jersey:
- On your first visit, Dr. Best will analyze your dental and medical history to check if you have any health concerns that may affect your oral health or treatment.
- Next, she will numb the area that requires treatment to keep you calm and comfortable throughout the procedure.
- Dr. Best will then drill a small hole in your tooth to remove all the infected parts of the pulp. She will then use special tools to wash the infected area and disinfect it.
- In the final step, Dr. Best will cover the tooth with a crown or a filling to keep the damaged area from getting infected again and to restore the tooth to its original functionality.
What to Do After Root Canal Therapy?
Your teeth may feel sensitive for a few days after the root canal procedure. To ensure proper healing, follow Dr. Best’s recommendations below:
- Don’t eat hard foods and try not to chew using the treated tooth. Instead, consume soft foods like porridge, mashed potatoes, and soups.
- Brush and floss gently and use mouthwash, avoiding the treated tooth.
- Take a painkiller if the pain becomes unbearable.
- Visit Dr. Best for follow-up treatment so that she can assess how you are healing.
What Are the Benefits of Root Canal Therapy?
- A root canal prevents the spread of infection to neighboring teeth.
- A root canal only requires one dental visit and is cost-effective.
- A root canal helps get rid of sharp pain and discomfort associated with damaged or decayed teeth.
- A root canal enhances your oral health.
- A root canal prevents the jawbone from deteriorating.
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Best to learn more about root canal therapy. Call our Newton, New Jersey, office at (973) 383-5700 or our Andover, New Jersey, office at (973) 786-5588, or schedule an appointment online.
Ready to schedule a consultation?