Dental fillings are various materials used in restoring the shape of decayed or damaged teeth to improve their aesthetics. According to the American Dental Association, over 175 million filling procedures are performed in the United States each year.
Dr. Best at Marlayna C. Best in Andover, New Jersey, and Best Dental Care NJ in Newton, New Jersey, offers top-notch dental filling treatments for people from Newton, Andover, and surrounding regions.
Types of Filling Materials Available at Best Dental Care NJ
Several filling materials are used in dentistry, including gold, silver, amalgam, porcelain, ceramic, and composite resin.
Metal fillings are more durable but also more expensive compared to other available options. They are also less discreet.
Porcelain, ceramic, and composite resin fillings resemble the color and texture of natural teeth.
Advantages of Dental Fillings
Let’s take a look at the main advantages of dental fillings:
- Most filling materials are resistant to corrosion and can last as long as 15 years or more.
- Porcelain, ceramic, or composite resin dental fillings make your teeth restorations look natural.
- Fillings can strengthen your teeth and protect them from decay and infections.
- Fillings help restore your oral functionality.
Steps Involved in a Tooth Filling Procedure
Every filling procedure can be broken down into the following steps:
- First, Dr. Best will use an anesthetic to numb the area around the tooth that requires treatment.
- Next, Dr. Best will use a drilling or laser instrument to remove the damaged area of the tooth and check for any decay debris in the filling spot.
- Once all the bacteria and debris are cleaned out, Dr. Best will fill the tooth with the filling material of your choosing. If the damage is near the tooth root, Dr. Best will apply a layer of composite resin, glass ionomer, or other substances to safeguard it.
- Lastly, Dr. Best will polish the filled tooth and ensure its shape, size, and appearance match your requirements.
How Can You Care for Dental Fillings?
Caring for dental fillings doesn’t require any changes to your oral care routine. You need to brush and floss daily, use an antibacterial mouthwash, and visit our dentist once every six months to ensure the filling stays in place and continues to protect your tooth.
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Best at one of our New Jersey offices in Newton or Andover to learn more about fillings. Call us at (973) 383-5700 or (973) 786-5588, request an appointment online, or visit our offices for further assistance.
Ready to schedule a consultation?