If you’ve ever had a chipped, damaged, or decayed tooth that needed to be restored, you’ve probably heard of dental crowns.
A dental crown is a customizable cap placed on top of a tooth that restores the tooth’s shape, size, and aesthetics. Crown treatment is one of the oldest dental procedures in dentistry, with early records of the procedure dating back to 5000 BC.
Dr. Best at Marlayna C. Best in Andover, New Jersey, and Best Dental Care NJ in Newton, New Jersey, offers crown treatments for patients to restore the strength and functionality of their natural teeth and maintain their oral health.
Dental Crown Procedure
Getting a dental crown typically requires two visits to our dental office. Here are the steps included in the procedure:
- During your first visit, Dr. Best and our team will take X-rays to check the extent of the damage, assess the health of the tooth root, the jawbone, and the surrounding tissues and teeth.
- If the analysis shows extensive decay or chances of infection, Dr. Best will perform a root canal procedure.
- Next, Dr. Best will use putty to take an impression of the tooth and create the dental crown model.
- The impression is then sent to a laboratory that will deliver the newly created crown to our office within two to three weeks. You will be fitted with a temporary crown for this period to prevent further damage to the tooth.
- On your second visit, Dr. Best will remove the temporary crown and replace it with your brand new permanent crown.
What Are Crowns Made From?
Crowns are some of the most versatile cosmetic oral prosthetics as they are available in several different materials. You can have a crown made of gold, silver, other fused metals, porcelain, stainless steel, ceramic, composite resin, and porcelain fused with steel.
What Problems Do Dental Crowns Solve?
The most common dental issues Dr. Best recommends dental crowns for are:
- Restoring a weak tooth
- Restoring a severely broken down or damaged tooth
- Holding a dental bridge in place
- Supporting a filled tooth
- Completing a dental implant
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Best to learn more about dental crowns by calling our Newton, New Jersey, office at (973) 383-5700 or our Andover, New Jersey, office at (973) 786-5588. You can also book an appointment online.
Ready to schedule a consultation?